This comprehensive coverage of masonry extends from ancient forms of construction to current usage. It provides a broad introduction to design involving planning, materials science, structural design with explanation of design load requirements, building envelope design, and construction related issues. This fundamental behaviour of masonry is covered in this textbook and is the basis upon which design in accordance with CSA S304.1-04 “Design of Masonry Structures” is introduced. A copy of the CSA S304.1-04 Standard is included at the back of the book. The authors’ extensive and detailed involvement with writing of this and other referenced CSA masonry standards provides unique insight into how they are applied. Applications are further explained with the aid of detailed design examples.
To reflect the significant changes to the seismic provisions of the National Building Code of Canada, this textbook has extensive coverage on effective design for the increased seismic loading.
- Ancient masonry construction
- Modern usages of masonry
- Building design including loading requirements
- Building envelope design for fire, acoustic, thermal and moisture considerations
- Masonry materials
- Behaviour of masonry assemblages
- Reinforced beams and lintels
- Flexural walls and arching
- Walls under axial load and out-of-plane loading
- Columns and pilasters
- Shear walls
- Infill walls and partitions
- Masonry veneer and cavity walls
- Construction considerations
- Design methods for single-storey and multistorey buildings
- Detailed design examples of a single-storey and a ten-storey load bearing building
Receive the Masonry Structures Behaviour and Design – Canadian Edition Textbook with English CSA S304.1-04 Standards.
Recieve the Masonry Structures Behaviour and Design – Canadian Edition Textbook with French CSA S304.1-04 Standards.